Thursday, 21 July 2011

Corjuem Fort, Goa





An Old Portuguese fort known as the Corjuem fort is a attraction in Khorjuem, Goa. This fort built in 1705 is one of the only two inland forts that are surviving made of pitted laterite. In the eighteenth century this fort protected the Portuguese from the Marathas, Bhonsles and the Rane Rajputs.It is well connected with Aldona by a road bridge that is a major source of attraction as it is built according to the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Fort Aguada, Goa






Fort Aguada and its lighthouse is a well-preserved seventeenth-century Portuguese fort standing in Goa, India, on Sinquerim beach, overlooking the vast expanses of Arabian Sea. During the Salazar Administration, Fort Aguada was repurposed for use as a prison primarily, some claim, for Salazar's political opponents. The fort was a reference point for the vessels coming from Europe at that time. This old Portuguese fort stands on the beach south of Candolim, at the shore of the Mandovi river. It was initially tasked with defense of shipping and the nearby Bardez District. 


A freshwater spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that used to stop by. This is how the fort got its name: Aguada, meaning Water. Crews of passing ships would often visit to replenish their fresh water stores. On the fort stands a four-storey Portuguese lighthouse, erected in 1864 and the oldest of its kind in Asia. Built in 1612, it was once the grandstand of 79 cannons, a moat around the fort also protected it. Fort Aguada was the most prized and crucial fort of Portuguese. The fort is so large that it envelops the entire peninsula at the south western tip of Bardez. Built on the mouth of river Mandovi, it was strategically located and was the chief defence of Portuguese against the Dutch and Marathas............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Chapora Fort, Goa





The Chapora Fort occupies an important position which, in every direction commanded distant approaches. Rising above the wide Chapora River, long before the Portuguese arrived in Goa, was a fort in place of the present one built. Even after the Portuguese acquired Bardez, the fort changed hands several times and was much sought after. Trying to end the Portuguese rule in Goa, Prince Akbar joined his father’s enemies, the Marathas in 1683 and made this place his base camp and it became the northern outpost of the Old conquests. After the Portuguese recovered from a scary experience with the Marathas they learnt that they had to strengthen their northern defences and provide shelter to the people there, but not until 1717 this present fort was built. The brilliant site has steep slopes on all sides. The fort follows the outline of higher slopes, stands above the whole upland area having an irregular outer plan and uses the natural form to add defensive height to the fullest advantage instead of dry ditches being dug. At the top of the steep approach track, the main gate is small and unpretentious for such a large fort but narrow and deep. Depending on defence requirements, the positions of bastions each having the cylindrical turret that gives a special character are irregularly spaced with their enormous embrasures for cannon.

The church that was dedicated to St. Anthony has disappeared and inside only a few signs of the barracks and housing that once filled this vast area are left. Now in a wide expanse of open space there is only a tumble of stones with a few herds of goats and cashew bushes. A natural valley to the beach protected by rocky promontories provides an excellent natural access to the sea. Across the Chapora river, the Hindu ruler of Pernem, the Maharaja of Sawantwadi who was an old enemy of the Portuguese held the fort for 2 years after it fell to the Marathas in 1739 in its first test. When Goa's border moved northwards with the acquisition of Pernem as part of the New Conquests, the fort lost its military significance towards the end of the century. It is a pleasant place to wander that offers fantastic views north across the Chapora river to Pernem, south over Vagator and also far out to the Arabian Sea in the West............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Lake Palace, Udaipur





It was built in 1743-1746 under the direction of the Maharana Jagat Singh II (62nd successor to the royal dynasty of Mewar) of Udaipur, Rajasthan as a royal summer palace and was initially called Jagniwas or Jan Niwas after its founder. The Maharana, ruler of Jaipur from 1628 to 1654, was very friendly with Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan and encouraged his craftsmen to copy some of the glories of his incomparable buildings at Agra. The palace was constructed facing east, allowing its inhabitants to pray to the Sun god at the crack of dawn. The successive rulers used this cool haven as their summer resort, holding their regal durbars in its courtyards lined with columns, pillared terraces, fountains and gardens.



The upper room of the palace is a perfect circle and is about 21 feet (6.4 m) in diameter. Its floor is inlaid with black and white marbles, the walls are ornamented with niches and decorated with arabesques of different coloured stones in the same style as the Taj at Agra, though the patterns are Hindu and dome is exquisitely beautiful in form. A room built of 12 enormous slabs of marble, Shah Jahan’s throne sculptured from a single block of serpentine and the little mosque dedicated to Kapuria Baba, a Muhammedan Saint, are other objects of interest on the island.


During the famous Indian Sepoy Mutiny in 1857 several European families fled from Nimach and used the island as an asylum, offered to them by Maharana Swaroop Singh. In order to protect his guests the Rana destroyed all the town’s boats so that the rebels could not reach the island............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Kumbhalgarh Fort, Chittor




Kumbhalgarh is a Mewar fortress in the Rajsamand District of Rajasthan in western India. Built during the course of the 15th century by Rana Kumbha, and enlarged through the 19th century, Kumbhalgarh is also a birthplace of Maharana Pratap, the great king and warrior of Mewar. Occupied until the late 19th century, the fort is now open to the general public as a museum and is spectacularly lit for a few minutes each evening. Kumbalgarh is situated 82 km from Udaipur towards its northwest and is easily accessible by road. It is the most important fort in Mewar after Chittaurgarh.


Built on a hilltop 1100 metres above sea level, the fort of Kumbhalgarh has perimeter walls that extend 36 kilometres. The frontal walls are fifteen feet thick. Kumbhalgarh has seven fortified gateways. There are over 360 temples within the fort, 300 ancient Jain and the rest Hindu. From the palace top, it is possible to look tens of kilometers into the Aravalli Range. The sand dunes of the Thar desert can be seen from the fort walls. 


According to legend, in 1443, the Maharana of Kumbhalgarh, Rana Kumbha, was initially repeatedly unsuccessful in attempts to build the fort wall. A spiritual preceptor was consulted about the construction problems and advised the ruler that a voluntary human sacrifice would solve whatever was causing the impediment. The spiritual advisor advised building a temple where the head should fall, and to build the wall and the fort where the rest of his body lay. As can be expected, for some time no one volunteered, but one day, a pilgrim, or some versions suggest a soldier, and some the spiritual preceptor and the pilgrim were one and the same, volunteered and was ritually decapitated. Today the main gate of the fortress, Hanuman Pol, contains a shrine and a temple to commemorate the great sacrifice.


According to popular folklore, Maharana Kumbha used to burn massive lamps that consumed fifty kilograms of Ghee (Anhydrous milk fat rendered from butter to separate the milk solids and water from the butterfat) and a hundred kilograms of cotton to provide light for the farmers who worked during the nights in the valley............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Chittorgarh Fort, Chittor, Rajasthan





Chittorgarh Fort is the largest fort in India and the grandest in the state of Rajasthan. The fort, plainly known as Chittor, was the capital of Mewar and is today situated several kilometres by road south of Bhilwara. It was ruled initially by Guhilot and later by Sisodias, the Suryavanshi clans of Chattari Rajputs, from 7th century, until it was finally abandoned in 1568 after the siege by Emperor Akbar in 1567.


It sprawls majestically over a hill 180 m (590.6 ft) in height spread over an area of 280 ha (691.9 acres) above the plains of the valley drained by the Berach River. The fort precinct with an evocative history is studded with a series of historical palaces, gates, temples and two prominent commemoration towers. These monumental ruins have inspired the imagination of tourists and writers for centuries.


The fort was sacked three times between 15th and 16th centuries; in 1303 Allauddin Khilji defeated Rana Ratan Singh, in 1535 Bahadur Shah, the Sultan of Gujarat defeated Bikramjeet Singh and in 1567 Emperor Akbar defeated Maharana Udai Singh II who left the fort and founded Udaipur. Each time the men fought bravely rushing out of the fort walls charging the enemy but lost every time. Following these defeats, Jauhar (Burnt themselves alive in Fire) was committed thrice by more than 13,000 ladies and children of the Rajput heroes who laid their lives in battles at Chittorgarh Fort, first led by Rani Padmini wife of Rana Rattan Singh who was killed in the battle in 1303, and later by Rani Karnavati in 1537 AD............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Jag Mandir Palace, Udaipur





Jag Mandir is another island in Lake Pichola which is known for its garden courtyard. Shah Jahan took refuge here while revolting against his father. There is a restaurant run by the HRH group of hotels. 


Jag Mandir is a palace built on an island in the Lake Pichola. It is also called the "Lake Garden Palace". The palace is located in Udaipur city in the Indian state of Rajasthan. Its construction is credited to three Maharanas of the Sisodia Rajputs of Mewar kingdom. The construction of the palace was started in 1551 by Maharana Amar Singh, continued by Maharana Karan Singh (1620–1628) and finally completed by Maharana Jagat Singh I (1628–1652). It is named as "Jagat Mandir" in honour of the last named Maharana Jagat Singh. The royal family used the palace as a summer resort and pleasure palace for holding parties. The palace served as a refuge to asylum seekers on two separate occasions.


Jag Mandir is situated in one of the two natural islands in the Pichola lake (named after the village Picholi nearby), on its southern end. The lake was initially created in the 15th century by a local banjara tribal chieftain for carrying grain across the streams.




During the reign of Maharana Udai Singh II, in 1560, the lake was substantially enlarged by constructing dams across two streams. At that time, the Maharana also built the Jag Mandir and the Lake Palace (Jag Niwas Hotel) on separate islands in the midst of the lake. Udaipur city with its City Palace and other monuments and temples were built on the periphery of the lake. More Pictures...........
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Monsoon Palace, Udaipur





Monsoon Palace also known as Sajjan Garh Palace, the summer resort of the Maharajas is atop the hill overlooking all of the lakes. This palace had a way to collect rain water for consumption all year around. 

The Monsoon Palace, formerly known as the Sajjan Garh Palace, is a hilltop palatial residence in the city of Udaipur, Rajasthan in India, overlooking the lake Pichola. It is named as Sajjangarh after Maharana Sajjan Singh (1874–1884) of the Mewar Dynasty, who built it in 1884.When Maharana Sajjan Singh built this in 19th century (it took 10 years 1874 – 1884), his intention was to use this as an observatory to watch the progress of the monsoon clouds over the surrounding regions. His plan was to construct nine floors observatory there. Unfortunately the King died young at a tender age of 26.


High in the Aravalli Hills, just outside Udaipur, the Palace is illuminated in the evenings, giving a glow of golden orange............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Jaigarh Fort, Jaipur






Jaigarh Fort is a fort situated on the hill premonitory called the Cheel ka Teela (Hill of Eagles) of the Aravalli hill ranges; it overlooks the Amber Fort and the Moata Lake, near Amber in Jaipur, Rajasthan. It was built as a defence fortification by Sawai Jai Singh III in 1726 to protect the Amer Fort and the palace complex within it and was named after Jai Singh II. 


The fort, rugged and similar in structural design to the Amber Fort, is also known as Victory Fort. It has a length of 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) along the north-south direction and a width of 1 kilometre (0.62 mi). The fort features a cannon named “Jaivana”, which was manufactured in the fort precincts and was then the world's largest cannon on wheels. The palace complex (Laxmi Vilas, Lalit Mandir, Vilas Mandir and Aram Mandir) located within the fort has a well-tended garden where the royal family resided, the Shubhat Niwas (an assembly hall of the warriors), an armoury and a museum............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Khandar Fort, Sawai Madhopur





Khandar Fort is very ancient fort located in Khandar Tehsil, Sawai Madhopur district, Rajasthan, India. This fort is on the boundary of Ranthambore National Park. The fort ruins has three big entrances. Located on top of a strategic vertical hill, the Khandar Fort in Sawai Madhopur could never come under an easy attack and thus was truly regarded as invincible and was a favorite of many dynasties in India. It is also said that king of this fort never lost in war. This fort also tells some historical stories by the damaged walls and gates. 


The fort was long ruled by the Sisodia kings of Mewar after which it was taken over by the Mughals for a short while before coming under the direct control of the Maharajas of Jaipur in the 18th century. This fort also belonged to Bargujar Kings and was attacked by Allaudin Khilji.It is very near to the rivers as Chambal & Banas. 


There are seven temples within the fort. There is an old Jain temple which displays an exquisite work of carved rock idols of Jain Gurus. There is also a Hanuman temple with a single stone idol of Lord Hanuman with a demon under its feet. The other temples at the Khandar Fort are Chaturbhuja Temple, Gobind Devji Temple, Jagatpalji Temple, and Jayanti Mata Temple. Chaturbhuja Temple houses an impressive idol of the four armed God. An annual fair is held at the Jayanti Mata Temple. There is also the beautiful Rani Temple of the Khandar Fort located on top of the highest platform of the fort and perhaps the most magnificent part of the Fort. There are so many damaged sculptures are here. 


Other attractions at the Khandar Fort are the two huge water tanks of Ramkunda and Laxmankunda. Seven small ponds are also there but due to lack of maintenance, only four ponds are clearly visible. Narsingha Dhar is a picnic spot within the fort, where water flowing from the rocks provides a spectacular sight to tourists............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Ranthambore Fort, Sawai Madhopur






Ranthambore Fort is a formidable fort and has been a focal point of historical developments of Rajasthan. It is situated near Sawai Madhopur town in Rajasthan. It is surrounded today and lies within the famous Ranthambore National Park which was formerly the hunting grounds for the Maharajahs of JaipurThe fortress of Ranthambore was founded in 944 by the Tatu Meenas. The fortress commanded a strategic location, 700 feet above the surrounding plain. After the defeat of the Chauhan king Prithviraj III by Muhammad of Ghor in 1192, Ranthambore, led by Govinda Raja, grandson of Prithviraj, became the center of Chauhan resistance to the expanding Sultanate of Delhi. Govinda Raja was succeeded by his son Balhana. 


The Delhi Sultan Iltutmish captured Ranthambore in 1226, but the Chauhans recaptured it after his death in 1236. The armies of Sultan Nasir-ud-din Mahmud, led by the future Sultan Balban, unsuccessfully besieged the fortress in 1248 and 1253, but captured from Jaitrasingh Chauhan in 1259. shakti Dev succeeded Jaitrasingh in 1283, and recaptured Ranthambore and enlarged the kingdom. Sultan Jalal ud din Firuz Khilji briefly besieged the fort in 1290-91. In 1299, Hamir Dev sheltered Muhammad Shah, a rebel general of Sultan Ala ud din Khilji, and refused to turn him over to the Sultan. The sultan unsuccessfully besieged the fortress in 1299, but returned in 1301 to personally oversee a long siege, and succeeded in capturing the fort. 


The fortress was captured by the kingdom of Mewar under Rana Hamir Singh (1326–1364) and Rana Kumbha (1433–1468). After the reign of Rana Kumbha's successor Rana Udai Singh I (1468–1473) the fortress passed to the Hada Rajputs of Bundi. Sultan Bahadur Shah of Gujarat captured the fortress from 1532 to 1535. The Mughal Emperor Akbar captured the fortress in 1559. The fortress passed to the Kachwaha Maharajas of Jaipur in the 17th century, and it remained part of Jaipur state until Indian Independence. Jaipur state acceded to India in 1949, becoming part of the state of Rajasthan in 1950. 


Inside Ranthambore fort there are three Hindu temples dedicated to Ganesh, Shiva and Ramlalaji constructed in 12th and 13th centuries from red Karauli stone. There is also a Jain temple of Lord Sumatinath (5th Jain Tirthankar) and Lord Sambhavanath (3rd Jain Tirthankar) within the premises............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Taragarh fort, Ajmer




Taragarh Fort, the fort of Ajmer, seat of the Chauhan rulers, is claimed to be the first hill fort of Asia, built at a time when the Aravalli mountain ranges were above the snowlines. This gives it the reputation of being one of the oldest hill forts of the world, and it is definitely the oldest among the hill forts in India. It was built by King Ajaypal Chauhan on the summit of Taragaá¹›h Hill, overlooking Ajmer; its thick battlements run along its brow, completely enclosing the table-land. The walls are two miles (3 km) in circumference, and the fort can only be approached by steep and very roughly paved slopes. When it came into the hands of the British Raj, the fort was dismantled by order of Lord William Bentinck, and was converted into a sanatorium for the troops stationed at the British cantonment town of Nasirabad............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Roopangarh Fort, Roopangarh Rajasthan






Roopangarh Fort is a former fortress and palace in the town of Roopangarh, Rajastan, India that is today a hotel. The fortress was originally built by, and named after, Maharaja Roop Singh of Kishangarh in 1648. It was sited at strategic point atop a hill to the north of Kishangarh controlling the important trade route to the Sambhar Salt Lake. Around the fort a substantial town grew up that became a centre for artisans and manufacturers. For a century it also served as the primary residence of the Maharajas of Kishangarh, and the capital of the state. An ornate palace was built next to the fortress. In 1999 the Maharaja opened the fort as a hotel, but left the interior and exterior little changed from its time as a palace. It has 20 rooms, some of which are vast former royal suites............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Agra Fort, Agra Uttar Pradesh





The Agra Fort is situated in Agra City, near Yamuna Bank in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. The great Mughal Emperor Akbar commissioned the construction of the Agra Fort in 1565 CE., although it was converted into a palace by his grandson Shah Jahan, being reworked extensively with marble and pietra dura inlay. Notable buildings in the fort include the Pearl Mosque or Moti Masjid, the Diwan-e-'Am and Diwan-e-Khas (halls of public and private audience), Jahangir's Palace, Khas Mahal, Shish Mahal (mirrored palace), and the Musamman Burj. The forbidding exteriors of this fort conceal an inner paradise.

Diwan-e-Aam

The fort is crescent shaped, flattened on the east with a long, nearly straight wall facing the river. It has a total perimeter of 2.4 kilometres (1.5 mi), and is ringed by double castellated ramparts of red sandstone punctuated at regular intervals by bastions. A 9 metres (30 ft) wide and 10 metres (33 ft) deep moat surrounds the outer wall. Agra Fort (sometimes called the Red Fort), was commissioned by the great Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1565, and is another of Agra's World Heritage Sites. A stone tablet at the gate of the Fort states that it had been built before 1000 but was later renovated by Akbar. The red sandstone fort was converted into a palace during Shah Jahan's time, and reworked extensively with marble and pietra dura inlay. Notable buildings in the fort include the Pearl Mosque, the Diwan-e-'Am and Diwan-e-Khas (halls of public and private audience), Jahangir's Palace, Khas Mahal, Shish Mahal (mirrored palace), and the Musamman Burj.

Diwan-e-Khas

Chhatrapati Shivaji visited the Agra Fort, as a result of the conditions of the Treaty of Purandar entered into with Mirza Raja Jaisingh to meet Aurangzeb in the Diwan-i-Khas (Special Audience Chamber). In the audience he was deliberately placed behind men of lower rank. An insulted Shivaji stormed out of the imperial audience and was confined to Jai Singh's quarters on 12 May 1666. Fearing the dungeons and execution he escaped on 17 August 1666. A heroic equestrian statue of Shivaji has been erected outside the fort. It is said that a Tunnel from Agra Fort is connected  to The Red Fort, New DelhiThe fort is a typical example of Mughal architecture............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Hari Parbat, Srinagar Jammu Kashmir




Hari Parbat is a hill overlooking Srinagar, the largest city and summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, India. It is the site of a Durrani fort, built in 1808. It has the famous Shakti Temple on the western Slope and Muslim shrines of Khwaja Makhdoom Sahib and Akhund Mullah Shah on the southern slope. On the southern side of the outer wall there is a Gurudwara, which commemorates the visit of Guru Hargobind.

The first fortifications on the site were constructed by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1590. He built an outer wall for the fort, and planned a new capital called Nager Nagor to be built within the wall. That project was never completed. The present fort was built in 1808 under the reign of Shuja Shah Durrani............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Bahu Fort, Jammu Kashmir




Bahu Fort, which also serves as a religious temple, is situated about 5 km from Jammu city on a rock face on the left bank of the river Tawi. This is perhaps the oldest fort and edifice in Jammu city. The fort is surrounded with a beautiful terraced garden which is a favourite picnic spot of the city folk. 

The earliest historical recorded link to the fort is that of Raja Jambu Lochan and his brother Bahu Lochan, sons of a powerful ruler Agnigarbha II of the Jammu dynasty of Suryavanshi kings. Bahu, the eldest of Agnigarbha's 18 sons, is credited with establishing the Jammu city and building the fort. The earlier fort structure was modified over the years to a stronger fortified structure.

The present fort was rebuilt, probably at the same location as the ancient fort, by Autar Dev, the grandson of King Kapoor Dev in 1585. Over the years the fort underwent demolitions and reconstructions from time to time, until Maharaja Gulab Singh reconstructed the present fort in the 19th century, which was further refurbished during the rule of Maharaja Ranbir Singh. They first established temples for their tutelary deities; the image of Mahakali deified in the temple in the fort was brought from Ayodhya............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Bhimgarh Fort/Reasi Fort, Jammu Kashmir






Bhimgarh Fort, generally known as the Reasi Fort, near Reasi, a town approximately 64 km north-west of Jammu. The Fort is located on a hillock approx 150 metres high. Initially the Fort was constructed of clay and later on one of the heirs of Maharaj Rishipal Rana, the founder of Reasi, reconstructed it using stone. It was used by the royal family members for taking shelter during emergencies. The renovation of the Fort was started by Gulab Singh of Jammu and Kashmir in 1817 and continued till 1841. A new entry gate and a stone wall one metres wide and 50 metres long was built all around, thereby making it less vulnerable to attacks. 


The main entry gate is made of Baluka stones with Rajasthani carving. The front wall with loopholes is approximately 50 metres long and one metre wide. This has a statue of the Goddess Mahakali and God Hanuman. The Fort has a temple, a pond, a number of rooms of different sizes, armoury and treasury. After the death of Maharaja Gulab Singh, his heir Maharaja Ranbir Singh and Maharaja Pratap Singh used Bhimgarh Fort as a treasury and armoury. It was during Maharaja Hari Singh's rule that an English Minister ordered that the armoury be destroyed and shifted the treasury to Jammu. The Fort was handed over to the Jammu and Kashmir State Archaeology Department in 1989 on the orders of state government. In 1990, the fort was renovated by the Vaishno Devi Sthapna Board. The surrounding areas of the fort were given a facelift with the construction of gardens and pathways. The fort was then opened to the public. Today the fort stands out as an important landmark in the town............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Hiranagar Fort/Jasmergarh fort, Jammu Kashmir




Hiranagar/Jasmergarh fort remnants of the fort symbolize the glory of erstwhile Dogra kingdoms. Raja Hira Singh S\o Raja Dhyan Singh is supposed to has formed the town of Jasmergarh when he was conferred with the honorable title of Jagir of Jasrota by Maharaja Ranjit Singh of Punjab at a time period of 1834-44 AD. During his 10 years rule, Raja spent most of his time at Jasmergarh fort. The Hiranagar town was named after the Raja Hira Singh later in 1947.

The fort lies towards North-Western side of the present day Hiranagar town situated just its outer side towards India-Pakistan Border on border road. It is surrounded by the villages Suba Chak, Chanjjal, Sanyal, Jandi etc and is situated between Tarnah and Bein Nallahs. As per historical records, the Hiranagar (Jasmergarh) fort also housed Tehsil and other government offices till they were shifted to the modern day Hiranagar town after 1947. Sikh forces attacked the Jasrota Kingdom in January 1845 and plundered the wealth of the Jasmergarh fort. They used heavy force and artillery to demolish the forts. Giving details of the Sikh attack, British agent camped at Ludhiana Mr. Broadfoot writes, “Sikh forces plundered the wealth of Jasrota Kingdom and looted the ornaments and clothes from the bodies of the queens of Raja Hira Singh while they had sit on the pyre of deceased Raja for being performed sati.” Other historians have also mentioned that the Sikh army forcefully took the girls and ladies with them after the attack. In this way a powerful and progressive kingdom came to an end. After the death of Raja Hira Singh uncertainty loomed a large over the Jagir. It was after the treaty of Amritsar of 1846 that the Jagir was made a part of Jammu and Kashmir State and was granted the status of a district. The headquarters of the district of Jasrota remained in the Jasmergarh fort. It was later shifted to Kathua in 1922 and the district was renamed as Kathua district. 

This fort is the only remnant of the Dogra Kingdom in the vicinity of Hiranagar town which represents the past of the Dogra rulers in the area. This fort had earlier been converted into a Prison for Political Prisoners during early-nineties but following the resistance from the local people and the Mahant Swami Sri Krishna Dev Ji Maharaj, the jail was shifted from it as devotees visiting the temple of Mahakli perform darshan of the sanctorum had to face a number of restrictions for moving in side and outside the fort. Now it houses a sub-station of central para-military forces............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com

Jasrota, Jammu Kashmir




Jasrota fort exactly lies near Kathua. Jasrota town was founded by Jasdev— king of Jammu in the 12th century AD. The king of Jasrota constructed a big fort. It is said that originally the fort had seven gates but presently only four gates exist. Jasrota has been mentioned an important state of Jammu hills during the medieval period. Abul Fazl in his Akbarnama and Aim-i-Akbari has mentioned that Jasrota was a Rajput State during Akbar’s period. The area covered by the fort and its architectural features show that the Jasrota was a rich and militarily strong State.

According to Hutchison and Vogel, author of the Punjab Hill States, "owing to the fertility of the tract, being so close to the plains, Jasrota under its native rulers was a powerful state which viewed with Jammu in importance down to the time of its extinction in 1834".Their castle which they built to fight the Sikhs or any external threats which they perceived from the other rulers of that time. The palace of the Jasrotias still exists and is a reminder of the Jasrotia history. It is situated on the banks of river Ujjh, around 65 km, from the Jammu city, in Jammu and Kashmir.

Now the place has been covered under the Jasrota Wild life sanctuary but still the Jasrotia Rajputs meet there once in a year to remember their great history and also they organise a Yagya for the temple which has been built inside the palace............
http://famousindiantouristplaces.blogspot.com
Backlinks to my website?